Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Chili Cookoff


My friend Tami at runningwithtweezers.com World Headquarters is hosting a Chili Cookoff. I started looking through my cookbooks and found a very simple recipe that I thought that I could actually complete. My mentor, John from Lafayette, Louisiana turned me on to Talk About Good II which benefits local children. I encourage you to checkout the cookbook and Tami's blog and you may even get motivated to participate.

Chili recipe
small amount of cooking oil, 2 tbl whole cumin seeds
1 large onion, chopped, 1 tbl brown sugar
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped, 1 bay leaf
2 pounds lean ground beef, 2 tbs catsup
1 small can tomato paste, 1 tsp Accent
1 small can tomato juice, dash Tabasco
1 pound kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste
3 tbp chili powder, 1 cup water

Saute onions and bell pepper in a small amount of oil. Add ground beef and brown. Add rest of the ingredients and simmer for two hours. Serves 4-8 people.

1 comment:

Lynnylu said...

A gorgeous bowl of chili and a simple, but really tasty-sounding recipe! Your photography is incredible!